Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County's effort to eliminate homelessness. We now serve Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano Counties.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: Provide specific accounting functions in an accurate, timely manner as directed to support the Finance team in expediting financial transactions required to fulfill the agency’s mission, vision and values.
Grants and Contracts
· Responsible for managing new and renewing contracts including:
o Creating and maintaining program codes
o Maintaining contractual requirements matrix
o Filing and gaining approvals on new and renewing contracts
o Maintaining and updating budgets in financial systems
· RFP reporting and requests for historical information
· Manage program portfolio spreadsheet
· Perform data entry for various functions.
· Prepare, enter and validate journal entries.
· Assist with cost allocations and budget modifications
· Monthly account analysis and reconciliations.
· Provide support to and back up for monthly grant billing process.
· Perform accurate monthly general ledger reconciliations.
· Develop and submit analytical financial data as needed by supervisor.
· Assist in completing and compiling financial support documentation for budget and Board of Director/Finance Committee meetings.
· Run and modify ad hoc reports as needed
· Performs other duties as assigned
Who you are:
· Knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices.
· Ability to understand excel spreadsheets and formulas and ability to import data to and export data from them.
· Ability to communicate issues and escalate discrepancies using strong oral/written communication skills and listening abilities.
· Ability to communicate across multiple teams and with governmental, foundations and other agencies.
· MUST MEET DEADLINES and be able to independently interpret and balance priorities between competing demands on time and resources.
· Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, and general familiarity with databases.
· Self-motivated and accountable for timely follow-through.
· Quality control: demonstrates accuracy/thoroughness in monitoring own work to ensure quality and seeks/applies feedback to improve performance.
· Clear/firm-yet-flexible boundaries, consistent energy level and positive demeanor.
· A high level of integrity and strong ethical values and maintains the highest standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information.
You should have:
· Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, business administration or related fields. (additional experience and Associate Degree or accounting certificate may be substituted for bachelor’s degree)
· At least three years of experience working in an accounting role; preferably in a non-profit agency
· Strong excel ability
· Access to reliable transportation required, including a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Nice to have:
· Experience with Intacct or similar fund accounting software system.
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Insurance, PetFirst pet Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.