Accountant I or II
Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County's effort to eliminate homelessness. We now serve Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano Counties.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: Provide specific accounting functions in an accurate, timely manner as directed to support the Finance team in expediting financial transactions required to fulfill the agency’s mission, vision and values.
· Processes check requests and invoices for payment, validating appropriate expense coding.
· Coordinates gift card distribution and tracking.
· Conducts bank account reconciliations.
· Performs data entry for various functions.
· Prepares Invoice History and A/P Aging reports for review to mark obligations for scheduled payment processing.
· Prepares check vouchers for signature by authorized signers and prepares check register for file and reference and records paid amount in the Monthly Check Payment Report.
· Maintains vendor files and ensures that W-9s on file are kept current.
· Assists in the preparation of annual 1099/1096 reporting to IRS.
· Records daily receipts and deposit in to accounts.
· Prepares, enters and validates journal entries.
· Assists senior team members in account analysis and reconciliations.
· Provides support to and back up for monthly grant billing process.
· Performs accurate monthly general ledger reconciliations.
· Develops and submits analytical financial data as needed by supervisor.
· Assists in completing and compiling financial support documentation for budget and Board of Director/Finance Committee meetings.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices.
· Ability to understand excel spreadsheets and formulas and ability to import data to and export data from them.
· Ability to communicate issues and escalate discrepancies using strong oral/written communication skills and listening abilities.
· Ability to communicate across multiple teams and with governmental, foundations and other agencies.
· MUST MEET DEADLINES and be able to independently interpret and balance priorities between competing demands on time and resources.
· Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel, InfoPath and general familiarity with databases.
· Self-motivated and accountable for timely follow-through.
· Quality control: demonstrates accuracy/thoroughness in monitoring own work to ensure quality and seeks/applies feedback to improve performance.
· Clear/firm-yet-flexible boundaries, consistent energy level and positive demeanor.
· A high level of integrity and strong ethical values and maintains the highest standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information.
You should at least have:
· Associate of Arts degree in business administration or certificate in accounting or finance principles.
· Minimum five years of office or clerical experience.
· Experience utilizing Microsoft Office Outlook programs (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel)
· Experience working in diverse settings with people across all socio-economic spectrums and a wide variety of personalities and roles - staff, clients, local agencies, contractors, lenders, etc.
· Access to reliable transportation required, including a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Nice to have:
· Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, business administration or related fields.
· At least three years of experience working in an accounting role in a non-profit agency
· Experience with Intacct or similar fund accounting software system.
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.