Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County's effort to eliminate homelessness.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: This is an entry-level position that supports senior accounting staff. Accounts payable tasks could include processing invoices, performing check runs, vendor communications, and maintaining accurate accounts payable records. Works closely with agency teams to ensure that invoices are submitted for payment according to established policies and procedures. Accounts receivable tasks could include the daily reconciliation of cash transactions. Works closely with the property management team to ensure that tenant ledgers are correctly stated, and resolves discrepancies according to established policies and procedures. The accounting clerk may perform either or both of the described duties, including other administrative tasks.
Prepares invoices and check requests for processing and distribute to other departments for coding and approval
· Monitors invoice log and electronic fund payments (EFT’s)
· Posts all invoices and EFT’s in accounting system
· Prepares all invoices for review and approval
· Prepares weekly check run and mail and distribute the checks
· Uploads positive pay to bank after each check run
· Monitors A/P aging, researches outstanding checks and manages resolution
· Communicates with other teams and vendors regarding past due invoices/inquiries
· Posts and reconciles company credit cards
· Monthly accounts payable close
· Ensure all invoices have been correctly posted to Intacct
· Balance accounts payable report to general ledger
· Issues and maintains gift card log
· Initiates and helps with process improvements
· Ensures expense reimbursement form kept current
· Assists with annual audit process
· Posts monthly rent charges to tenant ledgers Reconciles cash receipts and posts to tenant ledgers.
· Deposits rent and all other checks daily and ensures check log is accurate daily.
· Tracks and posts all credit/debit adjustments to tenant ledgers
· Processes property system transactions in accounting system via journal entries
· Reviews and processes tenant security deposit refunds
· Monthly accounts receivable close
o Reconciles property security deposit report to general ledger
o Reconciles accounts receivable report for affiliate properties to general ledger
o Ensures all tenant transactions have been correctly posted to accounting system.
· Post donation checks to general ledger.
Who you are:
· General knowledge of accounting and understanding of general ledger accounts
· Strong oral/written communication skills and listening abilities.
· Ability to quickly change priorities and handle competing priorities
· Maintain the highest standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information.
You should have:
· Extremely organized with high attention to detail
· Analytical and problem solving skills
· Associate of Arts degree –business administration (preferred) and 2+ years’ related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
· General knowledge of tenant accounts receivable
· Experience utilizing Microsoft Office Outlook programs (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel)
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
It would be nice if you have:
· Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, business administration or related fields
· At least three years of experience working in an accounting role in a non-profit agency
· Experience with Intacct or similar fund accounting software
· Experience with Yardi Voyager or other property management system
· Cost accounting experience a plus.
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.