Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead the effort to eliminate homelessness. We currently serve Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano counties.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: This position develops and implements an integrated strategic communication plan to advance brand identity; broaden awareness of programs and priorities; and increases the visibility of SHELTER, Inc. across key stakeholder audiences.
· Create a communications/public relations strategy and plan that will allow SHELTER, Inc.’s leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences including the media and key influencers.
· Collaborate regularly with program teams and other teams across SHELTER, Inc. to execute communication projects and works closely with the Director of Development to develop content for external publications, videos, social media, the web and other channels.
· Oversee development of all SHELTER, Inc. print and electronic collateral including appeals, newsletters, annual impact report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications managing the brand image across agency.
· Manage vendors for outsourced services such as graphic design, printers, website management and legacy giving web content.
· Create and manage the annual communications calendar and budget.
· Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the agency.
· Perform content management duties on redesign and maintenance of agency website.
· Create strategy and implement the Giving Tuesday Campaign.
· Manage and update Print and Online Media List.
· Prepare supporting material as needed i.e. partners, stakeholders, board members, and agency staff.
· Actively engage, cultivate and manage media relationships to ensure prominent coverage surrounding SHELTER, Inc.’s programs, special events, press release announcements and other projects.
· Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including responding to media requests, and requests from the Senior Leadership Team.
· Recruit and manage Communications interns.
· Create compelling client stories.
Who you are:
· Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successful positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
· Ability to manage competing priorities.
· Utilize E-mail Marketing Tools i.e. Constant Contact.
· Must possess strong project management skills.
· Writing and editing experience with a variety of print.
· Writing and creating content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
· Must be a confident communicator and presenter.
· Must possess excellent organization skills.
· A wide degree of creativity and organizational agility.
· Strong understanding of best practices in digital/social media forums.
· Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management.
· Creative and thoughtful on how new media technology can be utilized.
· Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with diverse groups, including program participants and staff, board members, volunteers, donors and other supporters.
· Strong interpersonal skills, with analytical skills, positive demeanor, and strong desire to provide quality customer service to internal teams and external stakeholders.
· Basic photography and video skills.
· Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
You should have:
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field
· Three years of experience in communications functions
· Knowledge of basic HTML
· Experience with online research and analytics applications
· Knowledge of basic graphic design
· Experience working in diverse settings with people across all socio-economic spectrums and a wide variety of personalities and roles - staff, residents, local agencies, contractors, lenders, etc.
· Must drive personal car on behalf of agency business and have a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check
· Flexibility to work weekends as needed
It would be nice if you had:
· Minimum 8 years of experience in communications functions within the non-profit or media sector;
· Bilingual English/Spanish
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, PetFirst Pet Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holidays (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.