Director of Development
Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County's effort to eliminate homelessness. We now serve Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano Counties.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: This position expands the agency’s network of relationships, resources, reputation and program visibility/name recognition in order to increase its ability to fulfill its mission, vision and values. Create annual strategy and development plan for a robust Development team that achieves positive annual results for major donors, solicitations, events and community relations.
· Strategic management of engaged Development Committee of the Board of Directors, using one-to-one member meetings and informational presentations to advance development goals.
· Coordinate follow-up on Committee decisions and action plan.
· Oversee maintenance and upgrades of donor data base, donor recognition and marketing materials
· Oversee communications strategy and materials preparation/presentation process and production.
· Manages portfolio of key relationships including major donors and foundations.
· Utilize industry best practices to identify and advance new ideas/opportunities in technology, social media, and communications.
· Develop prospect solicitation strategy for major donor solicitations, coordinating preparation of donor profiles, identify discussion topics and gift targets.
· Define and manage implementation of investment partner cultivation strategy.
· Coordinate Moves Management, appointment scheduling, logistics, solicitation and follow-up with board and key staff engaged in major donor efforts.
· Manage/oversee data system to track donor acknowledgement and other stewardship logistics.
· Manage/oversee direct-mail and on-line solicitations.
· Manage/oversee in-kind (volunteer time, supplies/materials) donation solicitations/distribution.
· Manage annual review/refinement of agency messaging strategy.
· Develop, manage and implement strong marketing/public relations strategy.
· Coordinate brand management functions.
· Manage special event logistics.
· Initiate and coordinate response to media inquiries.
· Coordinate volunteer outreach and management.
· Oversee website development/maintenance.
· Oversee all media (social, press) content and relationships.
· Define and monitor team capacity requirements and staffing needs.
· Supervise hiring/orientation/training as needed.
· Regular one-to-one supervision meetings, monthly progress assessment, quarterly goal review and agency standard performance evaluations of direct reports.
· Convene regular team staff meetings.
· Lead semi-annual (half day) and annual (full day) team retreats.
· Conduct annual performance reviews of staff and team performance.
· Maintain proactive response to emerging staff performance issues.
· Define & develop skills development strategy to address ongoing staff training needs.
· Assure compliance with agency personnel policies (e.g., attendance, leave requests, supervision, performance reviews, and conflict-of-interest).
· Celebrate individual and team performance, highlight “learning opportunities”.
· Function as an agency leader on the Senior Leadership Team.
· Participate in development and implementation of the agency’s strategic plan.
· Coordinate with Finance in creating Development team budget and maintaining compliance with expenditure policies/procedures.
· Seek opportunities to promote interagency collaboration.
· Serve as a role model for professionalism in communication/coordination-of-effort.
· Represent the agency as directed in the community.
· Other duties as assigned.
Who are you:
· In-depth knowledge of best practices within the fund development and public relations fields.
· Proven expertise in management of large scale donor identification/cultivation process.
· Effective as a team-builder and efficient department administrator.
· Demonstrated commitment to teaching/learning, and extremely comfortable in training roles.
· Strong oral/written communication skills and listening abilities.
· Creative/innovative marketing strategist.
· Ability to interpret and balance priorities between competing demands on time and resources.
· Proven capacity to maintain patience/tolerance and tact/diplomacy in deadline situations.
· Well-developed ability to engage others in building relationships, sustaining momentum, etc.
· Self-motivated and accountable for timely follow-through.
· Well-honed negotiation/mediation and conflict resolution skills.
· Ability to organize meetings, manage group processes and facilitate schedules/logistics.
· Quality control: demonstrates accuracy/thoroughness in monitoring own work to ensure quality and seeks/applies feedback to improve performance.
· Highly organized: able to manage multiple assignments to meet project deadlines.
· Clear/strong-yet-flexible boundaries, consistent energy level and positive demeanor.
· The highest level of integrity and strong ethical values. Maintains standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information.
You should at least have:
· Bachelor’s degree and advanced training in fields related to task responsibility.
· Work experience that demonstrates a capacity to lead large-scale ($2+ million) fundraising campaign, including:
· At least ten years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in a Development Team, including at least five years at a senior management or executive level with responsibility for four or more staff members.
· Proven success in generating major gifts (i.e., private donations in the $25,000+ range and private grants in the $100,000+ range) and mass-based donation programs.
· At least 5 years of progressive experience in managing $100,000+ special events.
· At least five years of additional experience in fundraising, marketing and/or public relations, achieving demonstrable success in several of the following areas:
· Major Donors
· Planned Giving
· Communications and Media Management
· Volunteer Management
· Grant Writing
· Government Funding
· Direct Mail Solicitation
· Capital Campaigns
· Experienced in utilizing Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
· Experience working in diverse settings with people across all socio-economic spectrums and a wide variety of personalities and roles including program participants and employees/volunteers, local community partners, and vendors.
· Demonstrated commitment to the nonprofit or public sectors as a volunteer.
· Experience in interpretation and application of professional ethics within the fundraising field.
· Access to reliable personal transportation required, including a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check
It would be nice if you had:
· CFRE or ACFRE or comparable certification.
· Workshop or conference presenter and/or consultant re: development planning process.
· Bi-Lingual English/Spanish.
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.