Grant Writer - Concord, CA
Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County’s effort to eliminate homelessness. Since then, we helped over 180,000 people to avoid losing their housing or make the transition from homelessness to self-sustainability. In 2018 SHELTER, Inc. expanded services to Solano and Alameda counties.
Our Mission: SHELTER, Inc. is to prevent and end homelessness for low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing, services, support, and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: Work in our Concord CA office, under the direction of the Development Director and Grants Manager, the Grant Writer assists in the identification, cultivation and stewardship of foundation and corporate funders. The Grant Writer researches and seeks new and renewal funding from foundation, corporate and government funders. The Grant Writer will also assist in the development of reports and/or proposals for corporations, foundations, individual donors, and other development activities in coordination with the Grants Manager.
- Raise financial support from foundation, corporate and government funders.
- Perform research and develop donor profiles to identify, evaluate and prioritize prospects.
- Prepare and submit funding proposals for general operating, program support and capital programs as appropriate.
- Provide outstanding stewardship for nongovernmental funders, ensuring reports, other updates and requests are completed on time or early.
- Facilitate interdepartmental cooperation to ensure the grant application process is managed for the benefit of the organization
- Assist in maintaining the system for tracking status and deadlines of all funding applications, renewals, and, for nongovernmental funders, grant reports.
- Special projects as assigned.
Who are you?
- Able to work in our Concord CA office on a daily basis.
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent ability to organize, prioritize and, as appropriate, delegate tasks to balance responsibilities in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Excellent analytical, research and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills, with a professional demeanor and ability to build rapport and credibility with a variety of stakeholders.
- Strong ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team setting.
- Strong ability to interpret and communicate program information and financial reports to funders.
- Strong ability to take initiative and be self-motivated.
- Strong ability to exercise good and independent judgment and to act tactfully.
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented.
- Professionalism, including maintaining confidentiality.
You should have:
- Live in East Bay Area.
- A minimum of five years of experience working in the nonprofit sector or equivalent experience is required.
- Proven track record of success as a grant writer.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least two years of successful project management skills is required.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, and Outlook), on-line research and general familiarity with databases.
- Writing and editing experience. Ability to write clear, structured, articulate and persuasive materials.
- Required to drive personal car on behalf of agency business and have a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
* This is an in-office full-time position, NO REMOTE WORK. Please submit a cover letter with your resume outlining your qualifications and experience and a sample of your writing.
Benefits: SHELTER, Inc. provides an excellent benefits package including Medical, Dental, Life, Vision, LTD, AD&D, 403b retirement plan, Flexible Spending Account, EAP and AFLAC. In addition, SHELTER, Inc. provides 14 paid holidays per year, including a floating holiday to be taken on or around your birthday and 18 days of PTO per year to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.