HMIS Data Manager
Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead the effort to eliminate homelessness. We now serve Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano Counties.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: The HMIS Data Manager LOVES data and evaluation and has experience using it to manage Federal, State and local homeless program data to evaluate and improve program outcomes. You have a proficiency in a range of quantitative and qualitative evaluation methodologies and are passionate about using data to improve program operations.
· Motivate and lead team members, including hiring and training, mentoring and assessing performance.
· Support the development and ongoing management of SHELTER, Inc. data and evaluation systems, from results to identification of key performance indicators (KPI’s), data collection strategies and program oversight.
· Stay current on HUD requirements and policy priorities (i.e. using data to improve internal systems of care; Coordinated Entry, Rapid Re-housing and diversion strategies, etc.).
· Collaborate and communicate clearly with teams across the organization to develop and integrate data systems and reporting infrastructures related to organizational strategies and impact.
· Identify trends and work with existing teams to develop mitigation measures to address programmatic gaps and improve overall quality of performance.
Data Collection & Reporting
· Collect, manage, analyze, interpret, and report data with appropriate visualizations in order to inform actionable insights for decision-making and continuous improvement.
· Review reporting requirements of all agency’s funding sources to ensure adequate data is being collected and ensure project deliverables are met in a timely manner.
· Ability to identify, collect, and analyze information from multiple sources and model that data in visualization tools (such as Tableau, Excel Graphs).
· Generate survey initiatives and design data collection tools.
· Work directly with existing teams to define, design and build visual reports and dashboards representing current and historical data.
· Use charts, graphs and narrative to professionally communicate program statistics to meet required external reporting
· Provide and analyze program data to monitor progress and highlight the main trends and changes.
· Clearly communicate and facilitate use of the results of analyses with varied audiences through presentations, written documents, and data visualizations.
· Perform detailed data analysis (i.e. determine the structure, content, and quality of the data).
· Design, develop, and test processes to import and transform data from source systems, including creating and managing data sets
· Automate analytic processes (i.e., data extraction, cleaning, coding, merging, reporting, etc.) with error-checking rules embedded in HMIS and other databases
· Develop, implement, and refine, as needed, quality control protocols to identify and remediate inaccuracies in data; train and support colleagues to ensure accuracy in data entry and maintenance.
· Use data management skills to clean, merge, aggregate, and format datasets and adapt databases, as needed.
Who you are:
· Well-versed in HUD housing, community, economic development and homeless assistance programs, and Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) data standards
· Strong knowledge and developed skills in essential software applications related to data capture, analysis, and presentation including, but not limited to, relational databases with ability to code (e.g., SQL, Access,Tableau); statistical programs (e.g., SAS, Excel); and visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, PowerPoint, Flare, Microsoft Power BI, Sales Force).
· Experience building data dashboards
· A strong grounding in presenting data visually and database design
· Ability to problem solve, develop & implement processes
· Ability to analyze data and determine/implement data enrichment or aggregation techniques
· Excellent oral and written communication skills including ability to present to and influence senior and executive management
· Broad technical and methodological prowess, an orientation toward asking and answering tough questions
· Comfort with ambiguity and able to juggle the demands of a busy, frequently changing plan of work in a professional manner, while exhibiting sound judgment
· Approachable, positive, and able to work with diverse constituencies, including all levels of the organization as well as external partners and collaborators
· Experience with Microsoft Office applications with strong excel skills a must (Vlookup, filtering, sorting, deduplication, conditional formatting)
· Outstanding analytical skills, including demonstrated ability to use data to inform and improve program delivery
· Close attention to detail, organized, and able to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and deadlines
You should have:
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering, business administration, social service/public administration/accounting/economics, information technology or other related field.
· Work experience that demonstrates a capacity to oversee all aspects of agency HMIS needs.
· Experience in programming software and/or developing customized applications within existing database platforms.
· Experience or knowledge of database development techniques, database design theory, or best practices.
· Experience in expanding and optimizing existing databases in a nonprofit or small business setting (i.e. Access).
· Proficiency in managing and extracting data from databases.
· Ability to create and maintain reports.
· Proficiency utilizing Microsoft Office (i.e. Outlook, Word, PowerPoint), with advanced Excel skills.
· Experience in training others in software including quality control.
· Experience working in diverse settings with people across all socio-economic spectrums and a wide variety of personalities and roles - staff, residents, local agencies, contractors, lenders, etc.
· Access to reliable personal transportation required, including a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
· Local candidates only, no relocation.
It would be nice if you had:
· Experience with affordable and/or subsidized housing, preferably with Section 8, HUD, Shelter + Care and/or other low-income subsidized housing programs.
· Experience creating data dashboards and experience using Tableau.
· Exposure to SQL.
· Exposure to Python, R, VBA, or other scripting language.
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Insurance, PetFirst pet Insurance, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.