Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County's effort to eliminate homelessness.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: Provide general human resources support within the agency. This position is responsible for full cycle recruitment, hiring and onboarding, assisting with benefits administration, employee exiting, assisting with resolution of employee relations issues, is backup for payroll and spearheads safety and employee recognition.
· Assists Team Leaders with job requisitions and “job orders.”
· Post and manage job openings on agency website, outside websites and at local posting resources.
· Hosts and participates in career fairs.
· Screens resumes and applicants for qualifications.
· Conducts phone interviews and may participate in in-person interviews.
· Drafts offer letters and manages hiring process.
· Actively sources new avenues for qualified candidates.
· Manages outside staffing company vendor relationships.
· Writes, drafts and updates job descriptions that are applicable to all current and future positions.
· Reviews job descriptions annually with Team Leaders to make sure they are applicable and up to date.
· Facilitates new hire paperwork utilizing online portal, monitors progress, completeness and assist candidates as needed in conjunction with HR Assistant.
· Conducts all in-person New Hire Orientations including: handbook review, safety overview, agency overview presentation and tour.
· Orders business cards and metal name badges, creates and maintains staff ID badges.
· Proactively participate and lead agency efforts aimed at optimizing employee engagement and appreciation by creating a positive and inclusive work environment.
· Spearhead and drive Employee Recognition program and chair committee.
· Write monthly employee/agency newsletters.
· Anticipate and pre-empt employee issues and concerns. Address employee concerns/grievances in a collaborative matter if/when they occur.
· Administer HR policies in a consistent basis, as needed.
· Assist with payroll processing and or backup HR Assistant with payroll function.
· Assist with Learning Management System and engaging employees to complete all required training according to training plans.
· Conduct exit interviews and employee off-boarding tasks.
· Spearhead and drive agency Safety efforts including participating in committee and working with Safety chairperson to draft, OSHA manual and Disaster Preparedness manual. Participate in safety drills and meetings.
· Assist with benefit administration, enrollment and health insurance renewals.
· May assist with managing leaves of absences.
· May assist with agency Team Surveys and Employee Performance surveys.
· May assist with managing agency insurances and certificates.
· Assist with writing and updating HR procedures manual.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Quality control - demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Strong presence, consistent energy level and positive demeanor.
· Demonstrated capacity to maintain highest standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information.
· Attendance and dependability, can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work.
· Excellent communications skills both verbally and written.
· Works effectively and relates well with others Including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the Agency. The employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works, to maintain constructive working relationships.
· Ability to maintain patience and tolerance and tact/diplomacy in stressful situations.
· Keep professionalism at all times, including setting and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
· Ability to interpret and adapt to competing priorities and conflicting deadlines.
· A high level of integrity and strong ethical values.
· Excellent follow through, “can do” attitude to get the job done.
You should at least have:
· Work experience of at least 3-5 years in human resources.
· Professional in Human Resources certification or equivalent.
· Work experience of 1-2 years in payroll and safety.
· Typing skills (35 WPM) and computer proficiency (Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel).
· Superior verbal/written skills and presentation skills.
· Good punctuation, spelling, grammar and attention to detail.
· Experience working with computer-based service documentation/data collection.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
· Ability/willingness to work flexible hours.
· Experience working in diverse settings with people across all socio-economic spectrums and a wide variety of personalities and roles - staff, participants, local agencies, vendors, volunteers, etc.
· Access to reliable personal transportation required, including a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Nice to have:
· Associate of Arts or higher education.
· Experience with ADP Workforce Now
· Bilingual English/Spanish
· Nonprofit experience
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.