Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead the effort to eliminate homelessness. We currently serve Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano counties.
Our Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: This position answers, retrieves, logs into program database and returns calls from registration line to screen adults and families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. This position provides information and referrals as appropriate, inputs information into HMIS database, obtains and collates documentation from participants and landlords related to eligibility and financial assistance for homeless or at-risk households.
· Screens phone calls, offers information and referrals to other SHELTER, Inc. programs and other community agencies.
· Refers clients to all appropriate public benefit programs, including providing information about how to contact applicable Homeless Coordinated Entry System.
· Collects and documents eligibility information.
· Regularly reports participant situations to case managers and supervisor.
· Answers telephone and directs calls, greets visitors at front desk as needed.
· Retrieves messages from voice mail and documents calls.
· Provides information regarding services provided by SHELTER, Inc.
· Help with both walk-in and call-in client needs.
· Attends SHELTER, Inc. internal meetings and outside trainings as assigned.
Who you are:
· Enthusiastic and positive attitude with clients of different economic situations
· Knowledge of public services, substance abuse, mental health problems.
· Professionalism, including maintaining confidentiality and setting boundaries.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Crisis intervention and conflict resolution skills.
· Analytical skills.
· Basic competency in data entry.
You should have:
· Experience working with low income and/or homeless populations.
· Computer skills including experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
· Type at a minimum of 35 words per minute required and validated with certificate.
· If required to drive personal vehicle on behalf of agency business must have a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
It would be nice if you had:
· Associates degree in social services or related area, or certification from a two year program in related area.
· Bilingual English/Spanish.
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, PetFirst pet insurance, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.