Maintenance Technician – Concord, CA
Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead the effort to eliminate homelessness. We serve Contra Costa, Alameda and Solano counties.
Our mission: The mission of SHELTER, Inc. is to end homelessness for low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing, services, support, and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do:
- Ensure that the property is maintained physically to meet the standards set by REAC, HUD and the organization. This is achieved by following procedures established by SHELTER, Inc. and working with vendors, contractors, and property specialist to perform or complete any necessary work.
- Maintain basic knowledge in all building repair including; electrical, HVAC, plumbing, and carpentry work.
- Perform the following (including but not limited to): minor repairs to building appliances and fixtures, repair and change locks, replace floor tile, clear clogged drains, repair or replace plumbing fixtures, patch holes in walls, clean unit interiors, perform miscellaneous carpentry repairs, perform minor masonry duties, interior and exterior painting, build or repair fences, install window coverings, install carpet, install major appliances and light fixtures.
- Abides by, suggests any safety procedures.
- Ensures all vacant apartment turnover procedures are followed; that turnovers are accomplished in a timeframe and manner consistent with the organization’s standards and the property’s budgetary goals and limitations.
- Prepares written recommendations for physical repairs and/or replacements and provide them to the Supervisor.
- Will be required to maintain grounds and landscaping of facility.
- Promotes and fosters harmonious relations among residents, tenants, vendors, and the community promptly and professionally as needs/issues arise.
- Ability to interact with residents and tenants and handle complaints with reasonable discretion
Who are you:
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to maintain patience and tolerance.
- Ability to develop successful partnerships and relationships.
- Professionalism, including maintaining confidentiality and setting boundaries.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge in building repair trades, purchasing procedures and practices, work safety requirements, and repair procedures.
- Ability to keep accurate and detailed records.
- Basic knowledge in preventive maintenance work and scheduling.
- Basic understanding of habitability and REAC inspection requirements.
You should at least have:
- Minimum of two years’ experience performing building maintenance including repairs, carpentry, minor electrical, minor plumbing, painting, refurbishing, cleaning, heating.
- Working knowledge of building maintenance systems.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Must have knowledge of Landlord/Tenant Laws, Fair Housing Laws, ADA
- Access to personal car on behalf of agency business and have a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
It would be nice if you have:
- REAC inspection training
- Cal-OSHA training
- Basic understanding of habitability issues
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
- Bilingual English/ Spanish
Physically: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers to handle or feel objects. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
***Excellent Benefits including Medical, Dental, Life, Vision, LTD, AD&D, 403b retirement plan, Flexible Spending Account, EAP and AFLAC. In addition, SHELTER, Inc. provides 14 paid holidays per year and 18 days of PTO per year!
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.