Portfolio & Compliance Manager
Who we are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County's effort to eliminate homelessness.
Our mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: This position will hire, train, supervise, lead and motivate a team of Property Specialists dedicated to managing a portfolio of affordable housing units in partnership with Program Managers, Case Managers, Property Assistants, and Housing Resource Specialists.
· Lead Property Specialists in ensuring that budgeted occupancy, collections and audit standards are achieved in all portfolios through mentoring, monitoring and communication of concerns/training needs to direct supervisor. This includes anticipating vacancies, adhering to Waiting List and referral procedures and selection policies in compliance with Federal, State, Local, Regulatory, and Shelter Inc.’s requirements.
· Monitor progress/compliance of all portfolios managing concerns, deficiencies, and training needs, and assist leadership and HR team in developing training/mentoring plans and practices to improve operational outcomes and meet all program requirements.
· Ensure that all resident files are maintained, accurate, and current. Assist in detecting deficiencies in practice or product and facilitate training of Property Specialists to meet all program regulatory and funding source requirements.
· Monitor collection practices and compliance within all portfolios. Take appropriate steps to ensure that Property Specialists enforce payments policy and communicate all shortfalls, through proper communication with tenant, case manager, and/or financial manager. Assist in preparing and monitoring payment plans as indicated in property and housing manual.
· File and monitor Unlawful Detainer actions, within established guidelines, when all other avenues have been exhausted.
· Review management software dashboard to ensure completion of all critical process, across the portfolio. Assist in monitoring Yardi and Clarity system data for each property/portfolio, on a monthly basis, to ensure accurate reporting.
· Ensure timely and complete onboarding, mentoring and training of new hire Property Specialists. Assist in training and development of current property staff to ensure compliance and established standards both internal and external.
· Work with Property Specialists to ensure compliance to meet all internal standards, program, regulatory, and funding source requirements.
· Assist in process review, planning and implementation of process improvement plans to ensure efficiency of operation throughout the property and housing team.
· Assist in audits of the resident files in advance of all regulatory audits and inspections from government and other entities as required.
· In conjunction with Property and Housing Manager and finance, ensure timely, accurate and complete compliance and reporting to all agencies, lenders, partners and investors. Develop monitoring, reporting and recordkeeping systems to ensure compliance, as needed.
· Approve all tenant move-in files based on compliance review, and tenant annual income re-certifications, ensuring that the tenant selection process meets guidelines and regulations governing such programs/properties.
· Facilitate marketing and lease-up activities of agency owned properties as it relates to occupancy & program compliance requirements.
· Works with Property and Housing Manager to develop and update team policies and procedures; ensure that all regulatory documentation, such as Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plans, Management Certifications, Rent Schedules, Tenant Selection Plans, Rental Application, and other required documentation are kept up-to-date at all times.
· Ensure staff compliance with regulatory requirements relating to the set-up and ongoing maintenance of resident files, data entry into Clarity and Yardi Voyager.
· Oversees and/or completes successful monthly submission of the HUD vouchers through Yardi. Develop, implements and maintains an internal policy for submission.
· Promote harmonious relations among residents, staff, vendors and persons of the larger community by promptly and professionally addressing needs/issues as they arise.
· Communicate concerns in a timely and professional manner and respond to requests promptly, fully, and courteously. Help to ensure the highest standards of service and effective communication with tenants, co-workers and customers/partners, both internal and external
· Assist in ensuring that all certification standards are communicated to Property Specialists and are consistently met over all portfolios.
· Demonstrate a high level of care and customer service. Assist in ensuring team communications with any and all customers and/or business partners meets the agency’s standard of excellence.
· Identify and present recommendations regarding staffing needs and structural changes as necessary to adapt service operations to emerging needs and new program practices.
· Coordinate with Property and Housing Manger and human resources team on job definition, vacancy posting, and additional staffing needs. Promptly manage resume review, applicant screening/hiring process, and oversee goal-setting process for each job role.
· Provide supervision, training, and manage/monitor supportive coaching process to all direct reports. Celebrate individual and team performance and highlight "learning opportunities". Solicit staff input on developmental interests and implement ongoing training.
· Conduct performance management processes and reviews, as needed, for all direct reports.
· Assure compliance with personnel policies re: attendance, time off requests, timesheet approval, conflict-of interest, etc.
· Coordinate with human resources as staff issues arise to adhere to agency personnel policies regarding proactive identification/documentation of concerns, developing and monitoring performance improvement plans and/or curriculum to keep Property Specialists engaged in the utilization of best practices.
· Provide staff training on property management requirements as needed and in coordination with human resources and senior leadership.
· In-depth knowledge of best practices within the property management field, particularly within the subsidized and supportive housing environment, with an emphasis in application of California landlord-tenant, Section 504, ADA laws and procedures.
· Strong financial acumen for assisting in the development and monitoring of property financial budgets.
· Ability to interpret and apply complex, sometimes competing regulatory/contractual requirements.
· Excellent oral/written communication skills and listening abilities.
· Ability to interpret and balance priorities between competing demands on time and resources.
· Able to maintain patience, tolerance, tact, and diplomacy, even in stressful or confrontational situations.
· Well-developed ability to engage others in building relationships, sustaining or building momentum, and foster team spirit.
· Self-motivated and accountable for timely follow-through.
· Well-honed negotiation, mediation, conflict resolution and customer service skills.
· Ability to organize meetings, manage group processes and facilitate schedules/logistics.
· Highly organized: able to manage multiple assignments to meet project deadlines.
· Proficiency with PC systems, Microsoft Office software; YARDI Voyager, and Clarity.
· Strong commitment to self-care and personal well-being as a foundation for setting reasonable boundaries, maintaining consistent energy level, and positive demeanor.
· A high level of integrity and strong ethical values and maintains the highest standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information
· Must be familiar with or can work with re-entry, special needs & homeless populations.
· Property, asset and mathematic, problem solving and analytical skills.
· Leadership soft skills including; coaching, training, mentorship, and clear and appropriate communication.
You should have:
· Combination of education and experience that demonstrates a capacity to manage low-income and special needs housing and supportive housing program(s) for people coming from crisis situations and traumatizing circumstances.
· Three years residential property management experience in affordable housing to include multi-family HUD project based section 8, MOR and EIV requirements.
· Knowledge of the Bay area housing market with a focus on Contra Costa and Solano Counties.
· Working knowledge of landlord-tenant, fair housing, Section 504, ADA, Section 8, with ability to comprehend HUD manuals, regulatory agreements, contracts and industry publications.
· Working knowledge of building maintenance systems.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Including ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
· Proficiency with PC systems, Microsoft Office, Yardi, and Clarity
· Access to reliable personal transportation required, including a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER, Inc.’s automobile coverage.
· Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Nice to have:
· Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS), Blended Occupancy Specialist (BOS) and/or equivalent.
· Five years of experience with multi-family EIV requirements if managing a HUD property
· Supervisory experience as a team leader or manager.
· Software experience with Clarity and YARDI
· REAC and HQS training
· Fair housing Certified
· Rental inspection Certification
· Bilingual English/Spanish
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply:Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.