Shelter Attendant- Fairfield & Martinez
Who We Are: SHELTER, Inc. is an independent, community-based non-profit organization created in 1986 to lead Contra Costa County's effort to eliminate homelessness.
Mission: To prevent and end homelessness among low-income, homeless, and disadvantaged families and individuals by providing housing services, support and resources that lead to self-sufficiency.
What you will do: This position is responsible for day-to-day participant and facility needs during shift, including responsibility for participant meals, supplies and inventory, facility safety/repairs, interacting with visitors/volunteers. Year-round, 24/7 shelter requiring willingness to work schedule including evening, weekend, and holiday shifts.
• Monitor facility, making rounds every 30-60 minutes, assuring a clean, safe and healthy facility environment.
• Identify and address hazardous and potentially hazardous items and situations. Respond in emergencies and emergency preparation drills to prioritize human life but also safeguard property to extent possible.
• Identify, log, regarding, track, and document prompt correction of facility maintenance and repair issues. Keep supervisor updated on the status of identified and ongoing facility issues.
• Maintain a daily sign-in/out sheet on shelter participants.
• Provide access to building, maintain guest sign in/out sheets and complete guest roster.
• Clean the facility including, mopping, wiping counters, tables, sweeping walkways, etc. Assist participants with cleaning activities as needed.
• Keep the refrigerator, freezer and pantry clean and well organized. Discard food that is past its expiration date.
• Inventory supplies and furnishings regularly, noting items needed and requesting and obtaining needed items from donors or Manager. Store supplies.
• May act as primary point of contact for donations, accepting only items that meet shelter needs and agency policy. Sort and store and donations.
• Provide on-site coverage for 24/7 shelter operations.
• Maintain confidentiality of participants at all times; maintain safe and welcoming environment.
• Observe and report behavior that violate guidelines or create an unhealthy environment in daily log; complete incident reports and contact supervisor as needed and or appropriate.
• Handle disputes between participants in a positive professional manner and diffuse potential stressful/hostile situations prior to occurrence whenever possible.
• Respond in emergencies and emergency preparation drill to ensure guest/volunteer safety and well-being; may work with Program Manager to coordinate emergency preparedness procedures, training and emergency drills.
• Respond to phone calls made to shelter facility.
• Prepare, receive and distribute participant mail and notices.
• Arrange for volunteers to prepare dinner each evening.
• Assist with serving and meal preparation as needed, including assisting volunteer groups that prepare meals.
• Serve as main contact with guests and volunteers, orient volunteers to the facility, conduct tours and assist volunteers as needed. Maintain a daily sign-in/out sheet for guests, volunteers and participants.
• Provide resource items (i.e. toiletries, diapers, laundry soap, donations, etc.) as requested by guests, noting items on log and taking responsibility to obtain and/or notify supervisor of needed items.
• Administrative tasks as needed, such as updating rosters, photocopying, data entry and creating Word and Excel documents.
• Other duties as assigned.
Who are you?
• High level of professionalism that includes integrity and strong ethical values to show capacity to maintain highest standards of confidentiality with all records, including organizational and individual information.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Exercises good judgment to handle challenging situations
• Quality control of facility environment
• Collaboration with clients and volunteers
• Timeliness on completion of tasks
• Crisis intervention and conflict resolution skills
• Patience/tolerance and tact/diplomacy
• Attention to detail
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, Outlook
You should have:
• High School Diploma or GED
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours to accommodate participants available only during the evening or on weekends.
• Experience working in diverse settings with people across all socio-economic spectrums and a wide variety of personalities and roles - staff, residents, local agencies, contractors, lenders, etc.
• Must obtain and maintain ServSafe certification.
• Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
• Must pass a TB test.
Nice to have:
• Associates Degree with emphasis in social services, psychology or related fields
• Experience working with low-income and/or homeless populations
• First Aid/CPR training
• Access to reliable personal transportation required, including a DMV record that permits driver to be insured under SHELTER,Inc.’s automobile coverage.
• Bilingual English/Spanish
SHELTER, Inc. Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, AD&D, LTD, EAP, Aflac Voluntary Insurances, Flexible Spending Account, 403b Retirement Plan, 14 paid holiday (including one on or around your birthday) and 18 days of Paid Time Off to start!
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.